August Saratoga Performances Spotlight Denali Sales Graduates
The summer at Saratoga is a perfect opportunity for connections to show off their well-bred, and well-regarded racehorses, and our sales graduates have been turning heads for the entire racing festival.
Malathaat – G1 Alabama Winner
Arguably the crowning performance of the meet, Kentucky Oaks winner Malathaat refused to be had by the curse of Saratoga once again. Notoriously known as the “Graveyard of Champions” and already having claimed her unbeaten record, she would not be beaten by it again in the Gr. I Alabama Stakes. Fighting off all challengers, and taking the widest trip of the top trifecta, she prevailed in the end to cement her claim as America’s top 3YO filly.
A $1,050,000 purchase by the Shadwell Estate in the 2019 Keeneland September Sale from the Denali consignment, the Stonestreet-bred daughter of Curlin has won six of her seven lifetime starts with her lone loss coming in the CCA Oaks by a short head. The Todd Pletcher trainee has pushed her earnings to over $1.5 million with the lion’s portion earned this year.
Runhappy Travers – Miles D Hits the Board
During the colts’ moment to shine in the Gr. I Runhappy Travers, Essential Quality stole the show, but sales graduate Miles D put in a very strong run to take third behind a hotly contested battle between the top two. Also by supersire Curlin, the 3YO colt was purchased for $470,000 at the 2019 Keeneland September sale by White Birch Farm, and he now races in the colors of Robert LaPenta and Peter Brant. He has hit the board in three of his four lifetime starts.
Other notable performances by sales graduates in Saratoga stakes races include:
- Arrest Me Red – Winner of the Mahony S.
- Poppy Flower – 2nd in the Bolton Landing S.
- Succulent – 4th in the Seeking the Ante S.
Other graded stakes/stakes entries:
- Honor Way – 5th in the Shine Again S.
- Played Hard – 5th in the Gr. I Alabama S.
- Ajourneytofreedom – 5th in the John’s Call S.
- You’re to Blame – 6th in the Birdstone S.
- J L’s Rockette – 7th in the Gr. II Adirondack S.
Stakes Success Around the Country
Denali Sales graduates were active and winning stakes races across the country, including strong performances in Arlington’s swan song meet and over the border with our neighbors to the North. The full list of results is below and includes horses raised and grazed on the main farm:
- Belgrano – Winner of the Rainbow Heir S. at Monmouth Park
- Core Values – Winner of the KY Downs TVG Preview Dueling Grounds Derby at Ellis Park
- Club Car – Winner of the West Virginia Secretary of State S. at Mountaineer
- Cat Attack – 2nd in the Sharon Kirby Memorial S. at Arlington
- Heidi – 2nd in the CTHS Sales S. at Hastings
- Paris Lights – 3rd in the Love Sign S. at Colonial Downs
- Forest Caraway – 3rd in the Gr. III Torrey Pines S. at Del Mar
- Purr Sea – 3rd in the Arlington-Washington Lassie S. at Arlington
- Twenty Four Mamba – 4th in the Soaring Free S. at Woodbine
- Plus Chic – 4th in the Arlington-Washington Lassie S. at Arlington
- Up Her Sleeve – 4th in the Proud Man S. at Gulfstream Park
- Be Sneaky – 4th in the Lady Erie S. at Presque Isle
- Young Philip – 5th in the Arapahoe Park Sprint S. at Arapahoe Park
- Hanks – 5th in the Runhappy Ellis Park Derby at Ellis Park
- Beealea- 5th in the Richard P. Hazelton Memorial S. at Arlington
- New Year Surprise – 8th in the Gr. I Bruce D S. at Arlington
- Inject – 10th in the Gr. III Charles Town Oaks at Charles Town
We extend our congratulations to all of the happy connections on their graded stakes and stakes winners. We’re honored to represent and sell the best. Come see us at Keeneland September to find your next Saturday Afternoon Horse!