Keeneland September Brings Strong Market and Fierce Competition
A voraciously competitive market drove prices higher than in years prior as buyers who were shut out from the earlier books rushed to buy a horse later on in the sale. To that end, Denali Stud experienced a record consignment for the 2021 Keeneland September Yearling sale. From the 99 offered, 85 sold in the ring or privately afterwards, and we experienced record low RNA rates in Book 2. In Books 3 to 5, Denali Stud boasted a record gross for each of the books. Some of the highlights include:
- HIP 1254 – Gun Runner colt tops the consignment as the highest priced colt sold at $775,000 (highest priced yearling as well)
- HIP 1406 – Curlin filly tops the consignment as the highest priced filly at $575,000
- The top eight highest priced yearlings were all by different sires
- The top eight highest priced yearlings were split exactly 50/50 at four colts and four fillies
- Out of 23 consigned to Book 2, only 3 RNA’d
- Out of 24 consigned to Book 3, only 2 RNA’d
- Total gross for the sale: $12,464,500
- Average Price: $146,641
- Median Price: $80,000
- Denali Stud was the 6th leading consigner at the sale by horses sold, and 6th by sale gross
The Denali Stud team worked hard to make Keeneland September 2021 the success that it ended up being, and we couldn’t be proud of all their hard work.
As always, it was an honor to represent some of the best breeders in the country at the world’s yearling market on the world’s stage. We wish the new connections all the best with their purchases and we look forward to the next auction where we’ll be offering your next Saturday Afternoon Horse.